Summer has come to an end and, as we make our way into the depths of autumn, it’s an excellent idea to keep an eye on your boiler to ensure it’s working correctly before the weather turns colder.
When central heating is switched back on after a long period of inactivity, it puts extra pressure on your boiler which is when faults will rear their ugly heads and can potentially leave you out in the cold.
Winter boiler breakdowns are common, so before the big freeze sets in, take a few simple precautions to reduce your risk of boiler problems and also carbon monoxide poisoning:
- Have your gas appliances serviced by a gas engineer who is registered with Gas Safe Register.
- Use professionals to service any other fossil-fuel burning appliances such as oil or coal burning stoves annually.
- Fix any faulty carbon monoxide detectors in your home – a member of the Paine Manwaring team can help.
- Ensure carbon monoxide detectors are maintained and replaced according to packaging instructions.
Avoid the silent killer
When it comes to carbon monoxide poisoning, this is something which should never be taken lightly. People can suffer unknowingly from CO poisoning (known as the silent killer), thanks to faulty or badly-serviced gas and other fossil fuel-burning appliances and systems. The impact on health can be severe.
Carbon monoxide can be given off by all fossil fuels. So look out for:
- Boiler pilot light flames burning orange, instead of blue
- Sooty stains on or near appliances
- Excessive condensation in the room
- Coal or wood fires that burn slowly or go out
- Families suffering prolonged flu-like symptoms.
If you spot any of these things, get in touch with a Gas Safe registered heating engineer straight away.
Stay safe this winter
With a potentially cold winter ahead, keep your family safe with gas appliances and detectors that are working correctly.
If your boiler is particularly old, you might be interested to hear about the huge cost and energy savings which can be made through having a new boiler installed. Having a new boiler needn’t cost the earth either, thanks to our excellent finance package.
Contact us today on 01903 237522 or email email@example.com to find out more. And, remember, if you need a Gas/Plumbing Engineer for an emergency callout, get in touch 24 hours a day/365 days a year on 07793 580 250.